Flash flooding is the leading cause of weather-related deaths in Texas. As little as six inches of water can float some vehicles. If you encounter a flooded road, Turn Around, Don’t Drown.
- Never try to walk, swim or drive through swift water.
- Stay informed about weather conditions when you are driving.
- If your vehicle stalls in deep water, leave it and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Do not disobey warning signs or drive around barriers blocking low water crossings. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to 180 days in jail.
- Tampering with warning devices is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, up to two years in jail or both.